Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Easy Ribbed Wrist Warmers

I've had a problem lately with some really bad wrist pain when I crochet for too long so I've switched to knitting for a little bit.   Although I've noticed that when I sit at my desk to knit my shoulder begins to burn.  I guess I am getting old or need a better spot to craft.  We'll say that.

I've been attending some local Meet Ups with the Austin Knit and Crochet Meet Up, fabulous group of women and no children so I'm a happy happy person.  It's a lovely way to spend time with new people of similar interest, if you get a chance to find a local meet up, take it!

My friend was working on wrist warmers with a really interesting twist pattern so I asked her to forward me the pattern.  When I realized it'd been a while since I knit in the round or on double points I thought I'd take a little bit of time and have a practice session. The pattern itself is really easy just some yarn overs, slip stitches and straight knitting.

I cast on 30 stitches on 9.5mm bamboo double points, then distributed the stitches onto 3 needles and proceeded to do a k2/p2 ribbing.  I was careful to count off the stitches so that easy new needle started with knit stitches (12, 8 and 12 stitches), they're easier to tighten up so there's no gap in the work along the seam of the needle jump.

I soon realized I'd made my own wrist warmers, so I threw in a thumb hole (decrease 6 stitches, finish the round and increase by 6 the next time by) and added a couple more rows. I think it was a pretty successful venture considering it's been a while.

Connor and his friend both immediately ordered pairs in black (they are 12 yr old boys after all) so it looks like the fabulous twist wrist warmers will have to wait for a bit.  Here's my practice warmers.  They are about 38 rows total.

I think I'd like to add some ruffle or other adornment to the wrist side but we'll wait and see on that one.

          

adding more shots, to confirm I did actually make two! :)

  

super quick, super easy, whip yourself up a pair!

No comments:

Post a Comment