Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

GNOMES! *for all seasons


So, yes, I'm back to gnome land. I don't think you can ever really have too many wine cork gnomes. I did a few at Christmas, they rocked. I was recently featured on the facebook page of The Art of Crochet by Teresa (my hero) http://www.facebook.com/Crochetmania and there were my little Christmas gnome dudes. Now then, she made the faux pas of suggesting St. Patricks Day gnomes and here I was with a couple of cups of coffee in me, a quiet house and some yarn :) Then I pondered...what about Easter gnomes too??? Ya, it sort of deteriorated from there. Oh and for the record, my friend Suzanne (with whom I was spending quality skype crochet time) is the one who suggested the village. Yeah, she's full of great ideas like that!

This is is how I spent some quality Sunday morning time:



The pattern is the same for each "outfit"

Do a magic circle and sc 6 (6)
2 sc in each sc (12)
sc in back stich in each sc (12)
sc for an additional 2 rounds (12)
fasten off, sew in edges

The hat is whatever you want! I made the st.patricks day hat by using the same pattern but then instead of ending after the two rounds, I did a final round of 2sc in each dc in the front loop only to make the brim. The shamrock is the tiniest circles I could cut from felt with a teensie weensie piece strip of felt which is precariously balance/glued on the hat. Yes, I had to pull out my tweesers!

The easter bunny hat is the same as the base but I started with 4 in the magic circle and only increased to 8 then did a few extra rounds. The ears are a few no chain hdc stitches, until it was the length I liked, 3 maybe? that's how the point happened I did a sc at the end and it worked out that way.

The summer hat/sombrero was a bad combination of increases and I will have to sit and figure out how I did it... it was a random moment where I was chatting and mindlessly crocheting and then realized it suddenly looked like a lovely spring hat for a cork gnome, you know, like you do.

I LOVE my little gnomes and will most certainly adding to my village....thanks for coming by to peek ;)


/tracy


p.s. i made the gnomes some bouquets...



1 comment:

  1. Have you ever tried a one-hole paper punch to make little round things from felt? Bus conductors used to carry various-shaped punches for marking tickets. Stars, crescent moons, squares, triangles. I bet they'd be good for making small felt items, too.

    ReplyDelete