Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmastime hats!


Merry shortly after Christmas!

As way of a little confession, I went on a bit of a knitting spree this season.

I had been doing so much crochet that my arm started to hurt and I was afraid I'd have to go back into my crazy brace so I switched to knitting to give my arm a break.

I've also been skyping with my friends from the frozen northland and knitting circular tubes is easy and mindless work. Way to spend hours of staring at a screen, yakking to a girlfriend, then using the progress of any given tube as justification for no laundry or cleaning being done at all! Oh yeah baby, I worked it!

I happen to be lucky enough to know four children whom I just simply adore. I called their mother, my dear friend, for each of their favorite colors. It's hard to buy for kids you don't see all the time and I didn't want to just go get them what they wanted (how fun is that? for me I mean??) Anyway, I thought since it might get cold in Texas (hahahaha) I'd make them all a little something. They know I'm sort of crafty and the girls have been victim of my finger knitting and crocheting instruction in the past. I try to find little crafty things we can do when I visit while enjoying very large bottles of red wine with their mother. The boys generally dash off and do boy things.

For Christmas for them all this year, I whipped up a simple flannel scarf with serged edges for each in their color. I saw flannel scarves at The Gap for $24.00 *insert maniacal laugh here* truly? for $1.50 worth of fabric? Give me a break. Good thing I sew. I added the scarves because I'd decided to knit "tube hats" for each, adorned with the requisite pompom! I secretly just love the pompoms.

There's no pattern for the hats, it's a procedure. I cast on 55 onto 16' circular needles, 8's I think, I knit rather loosely. Knit like crazy until the tube is at least 20 inches long, or twice what you think the hat should be. Fold it in half, lengthwise, periodically and check it. Cast off by cutting a length of the yarn and threading the stitches off with a yarn needle. Cinch the top then cinch the bottom. It's an empty tube. When both ends are done, carefully thread a yarn needle and pull through both cinched ends and sew them together! EASY! VOiLA, you have a double thick hat!! If you knit it too long, you can fold up the bottom like a brim, if not you can wear it flat!

I think the kiddies loved them, I loved making them. I'm heading back to crochet land for a while again, I'll post my progress!!


Oh, ok, wait. I didn't double up or pompom the two hats for the preteen boys. Goodness, I was threatened within an inch of my needles to add pompoms. These hats I just knit long, about 12 inches then gathered the one end and sewed it closed. The boys like the "skater" look of them and both wore them pulled up with the "cool" bump at the back. Whatever, I'm not an 11/12 yr old boy and am obviously not versed in the current "coolness" factor of any homemade knitwear. Luckily, homemade knitwear made the cut at all so I supposed being given some simple direction can't be all bad. You look groovy, boys. Oh wait! nevermind.


So, go knit for a bit till we put our crochet hats back on... oh, no pun intended but I'm leaving it!! I'm working on a crochet hat with ribbing that I'll post when I get it finished. I just tried it on and pulled my hair through it to make it fit better and might figure some way to keep the back open so I can do it on purpose... Hmmm... anyway here's a sneak peak of the work in progress!


it's a bunch of rows of ribbing ( fpsc and bpsc ) then switch to sc around and I'm making it up from here ;)

/enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment