Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Babies need booties too


A friend was going to a baby shower and asked me to create a bootie/hat set for the newest little girl. This is what came out of my head. The flower on the hat is the same edging as the booties.

The buttons are pearl with antique silver carved surround. They are sewn in with tails showing so that they can be removed when the baby is old enough to grab at them because they are small enough to swallow.

This set is for a newborn so there's no grabbing risk until the baby is a
little older. Larger sizes will (eventually) need a heel added in and I'll post that pattern when I make it up. I'll work on it soon. I'm trying to equally share my time between food writing and Loopers so if I am a little behind in patterns and updates, that's why. I'm in the process of putting together a class schedule that will include private lessons and home parties which will be up in the not too distant future.

Until then, here's what I did; The booties are a simple pattern, a straightforward tube:
"E" hook, 4worsted baby softy yarn. Cotton will get wider and shorter when it's washed so keep that in mind if you go that route.

ch 14
sc in first stitch to join and sc in rounds for 18 rows.

sk st and sl in next to join

ch 3, sc in next stitch around, sl st in ch to join

ch 3

*sc in ch3 space, ch 3, sc in 3rd ch from hook, sc in ch3 space.

*repeat in each ch3 space, slst in ch1 to join

weave in ends.

Use tail from starting ch12 to sew bottom closed. Turn the sock/bootie inside out and fold down.

The hat is a standard beanie type. I used the same hook and yarn and used the magic loop and increased until the hat measured 5inches high and 5.5 inches wide (half). Edge the same way the booties are done.

I have decided I'm going to do a series, the flower booties 2010, the white is the "carnation feet", the yellow are the "daisy feet" and the pink "rosey feet".



I'm going to a "knit and crochet meetup" at Central Market on Lamar in Austin, TX, today. I'm working a crochet quilt block inspired blanket (that's also coming out of my head) for a friend who is having a baby boy in November but I'll also take these little creations with me. I think I'll start working on the "bluebell and snapdragon feet".

Make them, email me pics of what you did, give them as gifts, just give me some credit in there somewhere ;)

/tracy


I added a "maryjane" style to the lineup...I made the button but think it's a bit large, I'll make a smaller version for the rest of them. I like the pattern, it's a morph of a number of patterns I've seen, made up, and remembered. I think they'll look cute in blue with abutton, the whole clown thing without actually having a clown involved because, well, we all know how creepy clowns are. I'll add boy shoes when I finish them.

2 comments:

  1. babies do need booties I will see if I can make some

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...they are so absolutely cute.....
    n i must say ur blog has lots of cute baby stuff....my fav is always babys stuff and i love the blogs which has lots of baby stuff in em.. :)

    do visit my blog wen u get time..

    http://ashes-in-the-rain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete